Please note all sea swims should align with Covid 19 Guidelines.
This year, while we can’t team up with Clean Coasts to host our Sea Swim, we can all still enjoy an exhilarating dip! Sea swimming can have a positive impact on mental and physical health, so we are encouraging you to take the plunge and connect with your fellow swimmers by sharing your experience online using #FFFest21 #FFSwim.
Clean Coasts have 2 minute beach clean if you'd like to participate, click here for more info!
Irish Coast Guard and RNLI are advising people to:
- Always check the weather forecast and understand the local effects of wind, tides and currents.
- Never swim alone and have somebody ashore who is familiar with your plans and ideally can observe your progress.
- Only swim in sheltered areas with which you are familiar and swim parallel to the shore.
- Ensure that you are visible from the shore. Wear a brightly coloured swim cap or use a tow float to increase your visibility in the water.
- Wearing a wetsuit is advisable to help stay warm.
- Slowly acclimatise to cold water to reduce the risk of cold water shock.
- Get warmed up afterwards. Wrap up well in extra layers of clothing
- If in doubt, don’t go out!
- Tell someone else where you're going and when you are due back.