First Fortnight Artistic Policy
Our festival aims to be versatile and approachable for maximum accessibility. Therefore, we wish to present high quality events from a variety of art forms.
Any work submitted for festival consideration is based on the following priorities:
· Does the piece have artistic merit?
· Does it identify with the ethos of First Fortnight?
· Does it have a mental health connection?
· Does it give an insight into mental health issues or challenge views?
· Is it an authentic or accurate portrayal we can stand behind?
· What is the experience of the artist involved?
· What audience does this piece attract and does it apply to any of our aims from our audience development strategy?
· Is it an audience or participatory piece of work?
· Is there a way to allow the audience to interact e.g. post show discussion or workshop?
· Is this a new piece or a remounted piece of work?
· Does this piece bridge a gap in our programme?
· Does it explore a new artistic area of element of the mental health conversation we haven't explored yet?
· Is this too alike to anything we are or have already programmed?
· Is it potentially stigmatising?
With a limited budget we must carefully weigh up each potential festival piece with the above priorities in the context of our overall festival.
Photo credit: Michael Duggan